Sunday, June 3, 2012

FINALLY completed the living room curtains!  After pouring all over blogland, in search of a DIY plan that worked for my livingroom (and pocketbook) I finally settled on a hybrid of several.  I made my own curtain rods using metal 3/4" conduit, some wood dowels for the ends to give my screw in finials something to grab onto and the finials I purchased at hobby lobby. I was a bit nervous going in, but with the cost being so low, I figured if it was a project that failed, I could afford it.  Turn out GREAT!

You would NEVER EVER guess these were DIY rods! They look as good as the 20.00 rods you buy all the time for 25% of the cost! The curtain clip rings really make these even better.  I painted mine oil-rubbed bronze  but you can paint them black, white, antique white, or so many other possibilities.  Especially with all the different metallic paints they have now.  They are held up with one hole hose brackets and 1.5" L brackets connected by a nut and bolt.  You can make them in a double rod set too by using 2 hose brackets and a 2.5" L bracket! Like I said, it is really an easy thing to do for very little cost.

I used drop cloths.  I went with the 6'x9' set.  This was enough to do both windows.  Because I added some additional fabric to the top I was able to make them over 90" long.  With this exceptionally high wall, the height was needed.  I kept them plain so they did not compete with my fireplace as the focal point on the wall.  As you can see it is a very elaborate fireplace and I felt having curtains 

No comments:

Post a Comment